September 27, 2011

Into the Great Wide Open

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time" -André Gide


Last June I received some pleasant and eagerly awaited news from Nagoya Institute of Technology (NIT) in Japan. My application for an exchange year had been approved, which meant that I was going to spend the 2011-2012 academic year as a research assistant at NIT. The daunting application process started last September and after all the tedious form filling and pre-voyage arrangements I am relieved to say the least. In fact, my plane is leaving in merely 5 hours as I'm writing this first blog entry.


A question that I have been constantly asked during this last year is why did I choose Japan as my destination. I think part of the answer stems from the mid 90s and the craze for Dragon Ball, a renowned manga and anime series. Growing up in Switzerland every kid from the neighborhood was collecting something related to it whether it was cards, mangas or videogames. Aside the series itself I was always fascinated by the mysterious writings that later turned out to be kanji or the backbone of the Japanese writing system. The last nail on the coffin was my visit to Japan in 2008-2009. The mélange of hundred-year-old traditions and high-end technology and modern lifestyle was intriguing. Also, the next World Ultimate & Guts Championships will be held in Japan next summer.... sheer coincidence?


The last week has been an inner turmoil from the anxiousness of leaving home and bidding farewell to friends and family to the excitement of going on a journey. But right now the feeling is getting better by the minute, high five here I come Nagoya!







No comments:

Post a Comment